Disney’s Mulan - Art Nouveau Style
Why I chose to make this costume:
This costume was designed by the amazing Hannah Alexander! I have admired Hannah's artwork for a long time, and already decided last year to make her Mulan design. Through the wonders of the Internet, she heard of my plans, so we connected to collaborate on a more refined redesign of the character. It was such a great honor to not only get to know this sweet, brilliant artist, but also be a part of the creative process!
How I made this costume:
I took my time with this costume, making sure to not take any shortcuts, and pay attention to all the construction steps. I want this costume to be durable, and last through many wears!
I cut out two skirts, one from peachskin, and one from chiffon. Before sewing the panels together, I gradient dyed the fabric from ivory to yellow. The green/blue ombre silk chiffon was a lucky (and expensive) find in Paris. I sewed the red brocade bodice, made the steel boned blue waist cincher, and then draped the sleeves carefully. I also made the belt, beaded embellishments, and hair accessories. The armor is foam and black Worbla, which was carefully made, primed, and painted by me. The entire costume was a lot of fun to make, and involved so many techniques that I enjoy. Out of nostalgia, I reused the hair sticks from my old Mulan costume!
Thoughts on this costume:
I'm really happy with how this outfit turned out! Thank you so much to Katapon and Octopix for taking photos with me during Polymanga. I can't wait to wear this costume again with my friends in a Disney Art Nouveau group!!